Summer 2017 will be remembered for many things: the incredible weather; the complete lack of mosquitoes; the solar eclipse; the Canada Summer Games; the replacement and restoration of our roof; the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation; the ELCIC National Convention; and, a great many other things that may take some time before we see them again.
Fall 2017 at Faith Lutheran has the makings of another memorable season as many of our Committees and Groups have been busy making plans for events within the Church and the community at large. The list of events is quite large and I know that you will be hearing a lot more about each of them. Still, I think it’s important to list some of the larger events out in chronological order, so you can mark them on your calendars and we can all watch the excitement build.
- Sunday, September 17 – Welcome Back Sunday (final details are still being worked out but we will do our best to kick off the Fall Season in style)
- Monday, September 18 – Estate and Will Planning seminar at Faith Lutheran from 7:30 – 9:00 PM. Tom Brook from Canadian Lutheran World Relief will lead a seminar to help answer questions about Estate and Will Planning
- Sunday, September 24 – A new Confirmation Program will begin for students in Grades 8 and 9. The new program has been designed in partnership with St. Mark’s and Epiphany Lutheran Churches and will feature both small group sessions within our church and large group sessions in conjunction with the other two churches. Sunday School classes will also resume this week beginning at 9:00 AM.
- Thursday, September 28 – Faith Gardens Inc. Fall Fundraiser – Food & Wine Pairing Gala Evening at Riverwood Square
- Sunday, October 1 – Youth Led Service. Our Youth are planning to lead the worship service this Sunday and I am sure they will have some interesting ideas and perspectives to share.
- Saturday and Sunday, October 21 and 22 – Faith’s 60th Anniversary. A tremendous amount of work has been done by the 60th Anniversary Committee to plan for the Anniversary weekend and I am sure their efforts will pay off. Please plan to attend as many of the events as you can.
- Saturday, November 4 – Strategic Directions Follow Up. We will revisit the Strategic Directions document created last year to see how we are doing and where we need to go.
- Late November – “Once On This Island” performances. Faith Players and Shoe In Productions are staging a musical as a fundraiser for CLAY 2018. The production company will be working through the Fall to get ready and will perform the show in late November. It is going to be awesome!
On top of all these activities, our regular groups will continue to meet. Morning Glories and Men’s Breakfast will begin meeting again in September as will the Faith Book Clubs. In addition, the Wednesday and Thursday morning groups have been continuing for most of the summer. Finally, our choirs and handbell groups are also looking for new members.
How can you get involved? Just ask! The best way to experience the excitement of Fall 2017 is to join in the fun. See you there. – Murray Douglas, Council Chair